|The Convent of the Seraphic Virgin Saint Claire of Assisi, inaugurated in 1644, was the first women’s convent in Havana. The headquarters was in Cartagena de Indias. It grew in time absorbing surrounding properties. It still preserves inside small streets and houses and a public fountain. Its woodwork, particularly in the ceilings, is one of its main architectural values.
Abandoned by the nuns in 1922, it was the center of a public scandal as the government committed fraud while selling it. Recently restored, it is now the seat of the National Center for Conservation, Restoration and Museology.