|Its construction was completed in 1953, three years later it received the collections of the then National Museum. It was built on the site of the former Mercado del Polvorin. Architect Alfonso Rodríguez Pichardo designed a very modern building for the time. It was the final solution to provide a permanent seat to the National Museum, which bad been created by decree in 1913, but was wandering from one place to another in the city without government support.
The Palace of Fine Arts houses the largest collection of Cuban plastic art. There are halls dedicated to the Cuban painting and gravure from the 16th century up to now.